110g/ 4oz caster sugar
110g/ 4oz butter
1 egg – separated
225g/ 8oz plain flour sieved
¼ tsp mixed spice
55g/ 2oz currants
30g/ 1oz candied peel
3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 160c. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk until well combined.
- Fold in flour. Stir in currants, mixed spice and candied peel. Stir in enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out biscuits with a fluted 8cm cutter.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 mins
- Removed from the oven, brush with the reserved egg white and sprinkle with sugar and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until pale golden-brown
- Remove biscuits from the tray and set aside to cool on a wire rack.